Like that guy from high school, Google AdWords can either be your best friend or a bottomless pit. Here’s the trick: You take control over it by knowing what Google AdWords mistakes to avoid. Once you take the lead, you’ll find that these pay per click campaigns can be your best sidekick when it comes to your business goals.
6 Basic Google AdWords Mistakes to Avoid
1. Using Misguided Keywords
Using the right keywords at the right time is the essence of Google ads. Beyond knowing which words to use, you should also analyze the order of the words within a certain phrase.
You know Michigan’s 3-digit and 4-digit lotteries? Do you want to bet on box or straight? … Yeah, it’s sort of like that.
Remember that researching the wrong words to use is just as important as knowing the right words to use. Make sure you identify negative keywords, or else you’ll spend money on ads that don’t reach the right audience.
2. Not Clearly Identifying your Audience
When it comes to pay per click campaigns, or any marketing campaign for that matter, you should know your audience like the back of your hand. You should have an idea of their ages, locations, interests, types of social media channels they use, their favorite movies, and every other fact you can get a hold of. The more you know, the more you can find them. Armed with this knowledge, you’ll also be able to target similar audiences that may be interested in your product as well.
3. Grammatical and Spelling Errors
Contrary to popular belief, using correct grammar and spelling is not out of style. If your ads contain mistakes, people will notice and lose faith in you. In fact, they might not even give your company a chance at all.
Instead, create eye-catching, relevant, perfectly worded ads that entice your audience to click.
4. Not Creating a Proper Landing Page
Your ads should lead prospects to your landing page. That’s the main goal after all, and the landing page and ad should complement each other. It’s a comprehensive process, so don’t miss a step.
5. Failing to Track Results.
This is one of the most important Google AdWords mistakes to avoid. If you don’t use a proper analytics platform in order to track results, your campaign will suffer in multiple ways.
- You won’t know if you’re reaching your audience or not.
- Beyond simply reaching your audience, you won’t know if any of those individuals are actually clicking on your ad or perusing your landing page.
- If a great lead clicks on your ad and you don’t follow up, you’ve essentially lost a potential new client or customer.
- You won’t know what time of day or what day of the week your audience is most likely to pay attention to your ad.
- Most importantly, if the above is happening, you’re basically throwing money away on keywords and ads without knowing if they work or not.
6. Neglecting to Pay Attention to Trends
It’s important to pay attention to what’s going on in your industry, current events, and pop culture. If something is hot, it’s a great opportunity to capitalize on it through your ads.
Furthermore, understanding trends along with the right keywords to use allows you to create a more effective ad budget and overall marketing strategy.
It’s a Complicated Job, but We Can Do It
Understanding how pay per click campaigns work, which Google AdWords mistakes to avoid, and which other platforms you can use for your paid advertisements can be beyond challenging. In fact, people hire full-time employees just to fill this role.
So don’t feel bad if you can’t figure it out easily, and don’t sweat it. You can bet that we can take care of it all for you.